What are the responsibilities of a Data Scientist and job description?
The Data Science Jobs majorly include extracting valuable business insights to build data products. In this article, we shall see the responsibilities of a Data Scientist and his/her job description from a basic angle.
The skills of a Data Scientist lie in his analysis, math and statistics. Problem-solving skills and critical thinking are essential for interpreting data. He/she makes a great value out of data. They fetch information from various sources and analyze it for better understanding.
Data Scientist matches the Data Analyst Jobs while he takes care of client’s business performance, and builds AI tools that automate certain processes. His/her roles involve science, software engineering, and sometimes hacking.
Responsibilities of a Data Scientist
- Data mining using state-of-the-art methods.
- Building and optimizing classifiers using machine learning techniques along with selecting features.
- Extending data with third party sources of information when required.
- Processing, cleansing, and checking the integrity of data used for analysis.
- Data collection enhancement procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems.
- Creating automated anomaly detection systems and constant tracking of its performance.
- Performing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner.
Skills and Qualifications
- Having sound knowledge of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as Naive Bayes, k-NN, Decision Forests, SVM, etc.
- Holding experience with common data science toolkits, such as NumPy, R, Weka, MatLab, etc. At least one of them needs to be mastered.
- Experience with data visualization tools, such as GGplot, D3.js, etc.
- Great communication skills.
- Proficiency in using query languages such as Hive, SQL, Pig.
- Good applied statistics skills, such as statistical testing, distributions, regression, etc.
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as Cassandra, MongoDB, HBase.
- Data-oriented personality, needs to be good at scripting and programming skills.